Welcome to Like Figures!

×

Registration

Profile Informations

Shipping Address

Account

or login

First name is required!
Last name is required!
First name is not valid!
Last name is not valid!
This is not an email address!
Email address is required!
This email is already registered!
Password is required!
Enter a valid password!
Please enter 6 or more characters!
Please enter 16 or less characters!
Passwords are not same!
Terms and Conditions are required!
Street is required!
City is required!
Postcode is required!
Country required!
Email or Password is wrong!

Griffith Observatory,Los Angeles

More Views

Griffith Observatory,Los Angeles
$0.00

Availability: In stock

Griffith Observatory,Los Angeles
STL Files
Description

Details

Griffith Observatory,Los Angeles (CA) _Designed by ddThingz ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:453207 ) _Griffith Observatory is a facility in Los Angeles, California sitting on the south-facing slope of Mount Hollywood in Los Angeles' Griffith Park. It commands a view of the Los Angeles Basin, including Downtown Los Angeles to the southeast, Hollywood to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the southwest. The observatory is a popular tourist attraction with an extensive array of space and science-related displays. Since the observatory opened in 1935, admission has been free, in accordance with Griffith's will. _3,015 acres (12.20 km2) of land surrounding the observatory was donated to the City of Los Angeles by Colonel Griffith J. Griffith on December 16, 1896. In his will Griffith donated funds to build an observatory, exhibit hall, and planetarium on the donated land. Griffith's objective was to make astronomy accessible by the public, as opposed to the prevailing idea that observatories should be located on remote mountaintops and restricted to scientists. Griffith drafted detailed specifications for the observatory. In drafting the plans, he consulted with Walter Adams, the future director of Mount Wilson Observatory, and George Ellery Hale, who founded (with Andrew Carnegie) the first astrophysical telescope in Los Angeles. _As a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, construction began on June 20, 1933, using a design developed by architect John C. Austin based on preliminary sketches by Russell W. Porter. The observatory and accompanying exhibits were opened to the public on May 14, 1935. In its first five days of operation the observatory logged more than 13,000 visitors. Dinsmore Alter was the museum's director during its first years.During World War II the planetarium was used to train pilots in celestial navigation. The planetarium was again used for this purpose in the 1960s to train Apollo program astronauts for the first lunar missions. _The observatory closed in 2002 for renovation and a major expansion of exhibit space. It reopened to the public on November 3, 2006, retaining its art deco exterior. The $93 million renovation, paid largely by a public bond issue, restored the building, as well as replaced the aging planetarium dome. The building was expanded underground, with completely new exhibits,[4] a café, gift shop, and the new Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon Theater.A wildfire in the hills came dangerously close to the observatory on May 10, 2007. On May 25, 2008, the Observatory offered visitors live coverage of the Phoenix landing on Mars.
Additional Information

Additional Information

SKU 10000667
Length [mm] 145.79
Width [mm] 124.1
Height [mm] 60
Volume [cm³] 384.01
Area [cm²] 479.85
Reviews