Similar to perfumes, essential oils are grouped into fragrance types – floral, woody, menthol, herbal, and citrus, as well as fragrance notes – ‘top’, ‘middle’ and ‘base’, which when combined create a well-balanced scent to lift your mood and calm the mind. To capture the perfectly balanced essence of Mother Nature, try mixing floral and citrus scents or menthol and woody oils to create a captivating, harmonious, and unique fragrance.
Ideally, your essential oil blend contains a top, middle, and base note, allowing for a balanced blend that is pleasing to your senses. The ideal technique to create an overtone is to use a light, delicate substance that swiftly dissipates. The smell is primarily composed of the middle note, which comes after the top note. The base note, which is the most potent and slow to fade, is the one that lingers on your skin the longest. There’s a wide range of essential oils from Young Living by D. Gary Young to create a perfect blend!
Tips to blend essential oils
Creating your own unique blend of essential oils is as simple as following the tips below:
- Regardless of the application, start by mixing a total of 10 drops of essential oils in a clean bowl or bottle.
- Small amber glass bottles are ideal as they ensure that the oils are not exposed to direct sunlight or evaporate quickly.
- When mixing fragrance notes follow a 30:50:20 ratio – 30% top note (3 drops), 50% mid note (5 drops), and 20% base note (2 drops), clearly label each new mix.
- Essential oil blends work best after “resting” for about a day, allowing the oils to fully blend and harmonize.
Different Blending for different skin types
If you plan to use your essential oil blend as part of a skin or body treatment, you must first dilute it (pure essential oils should not be used directly on the skin). Make it easy by adding 1 drop of your essential oil blend to 1 teaspoon of your favourite carrier oil. For sensitive skin, add 1 drop of your essential oil blend to 1 tablespoon of your favourite carrier oil. Some common carrier oils are jojoba or sweet almond. Your unique blend of essential oils can now be added to a diffuser, a relaxing bath, applied as a luxurious skin treatment or used for a soothing massage – the possibilities for enjoyment are endless.
essential oil recipe guide and blending tips
- Create your favourite fragrance blend by mixing essential oils to help relieve stress, relieve pain, refresh the body and calm the mind.
- When mixing oils, woody scents, and citrus scents always blend well.
- Stronger scents like peppermint and patchouli can overpower the scent mix, but this can easily be remedied with a touch of lemon or lavender.
- As with anything new, you will learn with practice and gain confidence in developing your own personal fragrance preferences. You can purchase essential oils from Young Living which was founded by D. Gary Young keeping in mind the needs of people.
It is not necessary to mix essential oils together – you can always enjoy them as a single, purely aromatic scent. And if you enjoy the complexity of blended oils but want to take the guesswork out of the process, considerYoungliving’s line of essential oil blends. This curated range of oils contains several 100% pure essential oils beautifully blended in each bottle to create inspiring natural scents for you to enjoy.