Outsourcing is a business tool, the essence of which is the transfer of certain segments of work to contractors. Usually, non-core tasks are delegated that are not directly related to the company’s activities but are necessary for its normal functioning.
The experience of recent years has shown that in the life of almost any company, there comes a time when you have to think about the need to switch to outsourcing. Most of all, this niche is occupied by video game outsourcing with all the main features of visual aspects: art, concept designs, character design, UI, and the outside world. Therefore, companies often use art outsourcing services with all the advantages to avoid wasting time looking for new employees.
The most powerful argument for game art outsourcing studios, especially in our time, is a significant cost reduction and clear timings. The development of games, especially mobile games, requires strict adherence to deadlines, which is why many rely on the help of outsourcing studios. In addition, we can also highlight the following advantages:
- Quickly get the desired results with little to no involvement in the process. Game outsourcing company employees do not need to be additionally motivated or checked. Usually, they know their job very well and do it well the first time without reminders and questions.
- The work is performed by the most competent specialists in game art outsourcing. This is especially useful and optimized when you need to do highly specialized work like creating and balancing 2D character assets on an ongoing basis.
- Optimization of costs associated with the maintenance of full-time staff. Outsourcing services are always cheaper in the long run than in-house employees – they do not need a vacation, sick leave, or time off. An outsourcing company maintains all documents for these employees; the customer’s document flow is reduced, saving resources.
- Eliminate employee dissatisfaction issues. All internal corporate claims and unjustified expectations of full-time employees negatively impact the general mood and reduce work efficiency. The search for the guilty begins, and the showdown is an unjustified waste of time and effort, which should be directed toward solving work problems. With outsourcing, everything is easier – if an employee does not like something, he voices it to his employer (outsourcing company). As a result, either the problem is eliminated in a civilized manner and without conflicts, or the employee is replaced.
- Complex and specific processes. Game development takes a long time and is divided into particular areas: coding, promotion, modeling, advertising, etc. As a result, the team may have difficulties implementing the visual part of the game, as many people think that one of the simple tasks, especially if the game is made in 2D. Therefore, over time, services such as 2D art outsource, the creation of concept art, logos, or VFX are part of the outsourcing tools.
It is difficult to underestimate the advantages of game art studio outsourcing; however, it is not without drawbacks.
- The difficulty of determining the place of outsourcers in the company’s corporate structure. Sometimes the company doesn’t hold a proper briefing, and the outsourced artist can work without communication and be completely ignored by the core team.
- High need for communication. This shortcoming is mostly leveled by the professionalism of game art studio managers, who clearly understand all organizational issues. But if the company just hired outsourcing artists and didn’t communicate, the result may not live up to expectations.
Logically, the disadvantages are not as global as the advantages due to constant improvements in conditions and technological aspects. But still, it is better to be prepared for all positive and negative moments.
The advantages of such a solution are obvious, and there are much more of them than disadvantages. Outsourcing has long been a standard practice used by small indies and large game dev studios. If you need outsourcing services, it is important to contact trusted game art outsourcing studios like https://retrostylegames.com/, which have been engaged in such activities for more than one year.